AN UPCOMING STAR FROM BROOKLYN, MEET LEYSHA PEREZ


Could you tell us a bit about yourself? Where were you born and raised? What was it like growing up there?
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Where I’m from isn’t that great of an area. It was really dangerous. My parents would always have me go to school somewhere far from where I lived so I wouldn’t be in that environment all the time.
What did you want to become when you were a child and why?
At first I really wanted to be a lawyer. People would always tell me that I argue way too much so I would be great at it. I later found a passion for music and knew I wanted to be a singer one day. 
What generated your interest in music?
Every night before bed my sister and I would sing for hours until we got tired. We would do little singing games where we would guess what song the other person was humming or she would sing the first verse to a song and I’d come in and sing the second. This went on for so long I began looking forward to bed time. 
When and how did you discover you had musical talent?
I knew that this was a talent when I would sing for people and they would tell me I had a great voice. I began auditioning for school talent shows and would always receive amazing feedback. I would record videos of myself singing to my favorite songs and people started to request songs for me to sing. That’s when I brought it to my moms attention that I wanted to be a singer and she began taking me to singing lessons.
Did you start by singing or songwriting or something else?
I began just by singing. I didn’t start song writing until I was about 13 or 14. 
What made you decide to pursue music professionally?
I would listen to all my favorite artist and see how performing on stage transformed them into someone else. I would always get that exact feeling while on stage and knew it was something I wanted to make a career out of.
                                     Here’s Leysha and Mac Miller posing for a selfie
I was always into pop & r&b. 
How long have you been a professional musician?
I’ve been a professional musician since I was 16. That’s when I started getting out there more with my music and actually recording my own content. 
Do you write all of your music?
I write most of my songs. There are times when someone would show me a song they’ve wrote and want me to sing and I liked the song so much that I recorded it. 
Could you briefly explain your creation process?
I always have to be in a room alone when I start writing to a song. I have to have the music blasting and be sitting alone just brainstorming. I think about the melody first and then the words come after. 
Where do you receive inspiration?
I get inspiration from my everyday life. Things that happen to me and to those around me. 
What projects have you released? What were the themes behind them?
At the age of 16 I recorded my first music video to my first song ever released, “Operator”. I recently released my first EP Moving On. Each song in the EP relates to the next, it tells a story. Not only is it about moving on from a toxic relationship into a better one but it symbolizes my career. I’m moving on to better things and finding myself as an artist. 
Where can people find your music?
My music can be found on iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, YouTube, Google Play, Amazon MP3 & more!
                                           She’s as photogenic as they come
What do you like most about creating music and singing?
I love the fact that I can express myself through song. When I sing, I can let all the hurt out or all the happiness out. Every one of my songs have a little piece of me in it and I think that’s what makes it so special. 
What has it been like working with Skyler Lexx?
It’s been great. He’s helped me record and produce some of my very first songs. I’ve met so many amazing people because of him and his wife. He’s given me so many opportunities that I am very grateful for! 
Do you have any upcoming projects or tours you’d like to mention?
I’m currently working on new music to release. Possibly an album in the future. 
What advice do you have for aspiring musicians?
The best advice I think I can give is to just keep going. There are going to be so many bumps in the road but you’ve got to have tough skin. There are going to be people trying to discourage you, and they will, but you have to be your own support system and know when and how to bounce back. Stay true to yourself as an artist and don’t let anyone try to mold you into something you’re not. 
Why do you think it’s important for people to follow their dreams?
It’s important because you don’t ever want to be stuck with thoughts like “what if?” You’ll eventually regret not reaching for the stars.
Follow her on Instagram and Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chris Brown Announces ‘Heartbreak On A Full Moon’ Album Release Date